Author Topic: Thread Locking  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Mikhail

• (Guest)
Thread Locking
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:08:04 AM »
I would like to ask that when a Thread is locked, when it doesn't violate really any rule I know of - from any game or forum.... That there be a reason given, at the very least.

The I don't like it, or I want it to end - I have the power, so I am doing it... (cause that is how it seemed)  is not only wrong, but it is an abuse of privilege.  Might I also add, so is editing posts, or deleting them - when they are not yours.

I noticed that a Player had a problem with the topic (and I don't know her, or her past), however its not like we are in person and you can't avoid the conversation.   

It is a Forum, in which after the first post, made by conner - you already know the topic that people will be discussing.   The most that effects you, is that you notice that someone posted something new to that topic.   If you make the choice to go into the thread, read it, and then still not like it.... well you set yourself up for failure.  Don't go into a thread, you know you wont like, when you already know what the topic is, or where the conversation might head.   You have that choice, not using that choice is not the fault of others who are participating.

Offline Seven Mountains

• Vance
Re: Thread Locking
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »
I have to agree with most points here.

I am disappointed the thread was locked before I could add my personal experience and input on the matter.
Seven Mountains
Ragabash, Fostern
Silver Fang Pure Breed x4
Speaks: Russian, English

Offline Benjamin

• (Guest) Joshua M
  • "We're not crazy. All three of us are sane."
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »
The discussion was not covering useful new ground, it was not particularly relevant to our game, and what could be gleaned from it going forward had been said. Maybe it was a little premature as people hadn't started in on each other yet, but better to move on before that happened. Let's give it a rest and focus on the rest of the boards.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:10:44 PM by Benjamin »
Benjamin
Homid, Ahroun, Silent Strider, Fostern
Pure Breed (Silent Strider): 3
Tireless, Graceful
Magnetic, Charming
Vigilant, Intuitive
Fair Glabro
Owl Wings in the Umbra

Arianna_Fireau

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 12:09:20 PM »
Staff reserves the right to lock threads that are upsetting to our players. If people wish to continue to discuss matters that staff has taken measures to drop, they are free to do so outside of our forums, or even in a more private manner. This can be done over AIM or even PMs. But sometimes, when conflict or hostilities are rising, the executive decision is made to cut it off before it escalates. This is a right staff reserves.

If you have a problem with a particular instance, you are free to PM an ST to issue a complaint. We are simply trying to do what is best for our broadest player base.

Offline PEBE

• Joe T
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:01:13 AM »
The thread was locked because the discussion grew WAY off topic. I warned it might happen, and Andrew got to it just in time. I also approve of what Kat said.

Also, I am going to ask that Conner auto-lock future such notifications. If people want to discuss our council rep's posts, they can do it in another thread.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:03:41 AM by Joe (AST) »
Joe
PC: Purifies the Earth with the Blood of his Enemies, 'Brother to the Winds' (aka "Pebe", also (to the Corax) "Mr Grumpy Pants Uktena")

All complaints must be submitted in the form of lyrical rhymes!
2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 08:23:49 PM »
Indeed, the posting was intended to be a notification to players of something happening in their organization.

It also took a jab at the offense itself, as something that is wholly inappropriate to do at any time (regardless of the myriad of contextual details).

The posting was not intended to serve as an open forum for discussion of the issue, which is why it was locked.  The ensuing discussion did not violate any particular rule, so much as it violated decorum.  It was not a productive conversation, and some of the comments regarding an already offensive issue, were themselves offensive.  It did not need to continue.

What's done is done, and I'm certain that it is in everyone's best interest to move past this issue and continue looking forward.  We are in this game to play, not to linger on past drama.

That is all :)
Marc Berman