Author Topic: Karma  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Ash 'Flirts With Danger'

• (Guest) Sami
I figure this isn't supposed to be an especially important bit of feedback, but is there some way we're supposed to respond to our (OOC) forum karma?  All I know is that I seem to be making people sadface on occasion.  ;)
Ash "Flirts With Danger" Warner
Homid Fostern Glass Walker Galliard
Eldest Glass Walker
Currently Unpacked

Offline Benjamin

• (Guest) Joshua M
  • "We're not crazy. All three of us are sane."
Re: Karma
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:49:22 PM »
I generally Howl whenever someone does something that I find particularly amusing, moving, or awesome in some way, shape, or form. As for Growling, I generally reserve that for when I believe someone is violating the spirit of the game, behaving in a nasty unfun fashion, or otherwise being a big meanie.  >:(

As for what it means when other people do it, or whether you can figure out what posts got you your Karma, or who gave it to you, I have no freaking clue.
Benjamin
Homid, Ahroun, Silent Strider, Fostern
Pure Breed (Silent Strider): 3
Tireless, Graceful
Magnetic, Charming
Vigilant, Intuitive
Fair Glabro
Owl Wings in the Umbra

Offline Arthur A Dennison

• (Guest) Shonn
  • Sometimes you don't get a chance to say goodbye.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:18:29 AM »
I like to pretend this thing doesn't exist lest I begin to obsess over what it all means. I was picked on too much to have such a readily accessible and anonymous social adjudication tool at my peers fingertips.
Pure Breed x3
Expressive x4

"When we die
We will die with our arms unbound
And this is why
This is why we fight"

Offline Anyanka Kuznetsova

• (Guest) Mandy
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 07:32:41 AM »
Hey, you know what they say "if they are shooting at you, you must be doing something right...." I've gotten to the point of people talking smack that I'm just like thanks.. you are just making me more famous :) But as for what you are referring to.... people can actually give you... karma??
Anyanka Kuznetsova: Homid born Half Moon, Grandchild of дед гром of the rank of Cliath, Purebreed two, Mark of the Predator

"My father always use to tell me that when I was older, I could choose to be good, or I could choose to win, it's funny just how much winning my family has been doing."

Offline AndrewD

• Andrew Devrell
  • Andrew
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 09:14:25 AM »
Look under your name on the left, Mandy. You'll see "Karma +n, -n" and [Howl] and [Growl], the latter being under other people's names.

I can't believe (again) people think it's important, or are (again) getting worked up about it in any way. It's been reset in the past because of people (actually one person only, if memory serves) complaining about it. It's essentially a fun, stupid thing that in general bears no relation to anything in game (unless you're Marcus).

That being said, you could ask about in the same manner you asking about the overall concept now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:17:19 AM by AndrewD »
I am the shadow on the moon at night
Filling your dreams to the brim with fright!

Offline Mass Trauma NPC

• (Guest) Rick
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »
I don't put much stock in it. I mean really, I don't have a single growl. How accurate could it be?

Offline Anyanka Kuznetsova

• (Guest) Mandy
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 02:42:27 PM »
lol.. shall i start clickin away fabrizio?? lol jk :p
Anyanka Kuznetsova: Homid born Half Moon, Grandchild of дед гром of the rank of Cliath, Purebreed two, Mark of the Predator

"My father always use to tell me that when I was older, I could choose to be good, or I could choose to win, it's funny just how much winning my family has been doing."

Offline PEBE

• Joe T
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
I won't name names, but there have been certain accts that seem to just attract growls like it's their job. if we see it getting abused or out of hand, we will take it away.

It was originally Mike's way of letting people note when someone posts something good/bad/ugly. I personally just use the Howl side of it when I see a post that really makes me think/laugh.
Joe
PC: Purifies the Earth with the Blood of his Enemies, 'Brother to the Winds' (aka "Pebe", also (to the Corax) "Mr Grumpy Pants Uktena")

All complaints must be submitted in the form of lyrical rhymes!
2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2

Offline Ash 'Flirts With Danger'

• (Guest) Sami
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I was mostly just curious if there was something I was supposed to be paying attention to.  :)

Thanks for the info.!
Ash "Flirts With Danger" Warner
Homid Fostern Glass Walker Galliard
Eldest Glass Walker
Currently Unpacked

• (Guest) Shonn
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 09:47:44 PM »
Sadly, what I dislike most about the Karma thing is that I cannot take back what I give. I accidentally gave someone a -1 because of touch screen shenanigans on my phone.
Pure Breed x3
Expressive x4

"When we die
And this is why
This is why we fight"

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 10:14:50 PM »
In the beginning...

When Mike originally setup these forums (to replace the previous, broken ones he couldn't fix), he included this little feature called Karma.  Originally it was "Props" (+) and "Smite" (-), which he later changed to "Howl" and "Growl" respectively, to fit more with the theme.

Though it's been discussed numerous times over the years, there was only one instance of Karma ever being "reset" to zero.  It has never been deactivated altogether.  There have been a handful of times where individual accounts were administratively adjusted (either with or without the player's knowledge), usually to avoid hurt feelings (this is a game, after all) over horribly skewed Karma.  I share Andrew's sentiments that it is a silly and fun thing, not necessarily meant to be taken (entirely) seriously, though I think I would be a little sad if I had to disable it out of concern for peoples' ability to handle the (minuscule) social implications.

@Shonn: You can always PM me with the details (who) of your error, and I can correct it administratively, lest it be keeping you awake nights.  You could also give two Howls in the Growl's place.  It wouldn't remove the Growl, but would essentially cancel it out and net one Howl instead. :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:17:48 PM by Marc (HST) »
Marc Berman

• (Guest) Shonn
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 10:17:59 PM »
I forget.

*awkward shrug*
Pure Breed x3
Expressive x4

"When we die
And this is why
This is why we fight"

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:22:12 PM »
Also, it functions as a bastion of passive-aggressiveness in a sea of the active-aggression inherent in roleplay.  :P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:22:45 PM by Marc (HST) »
Marc Berman