Author Topic: Books  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Arthur A Dennison

• (Guest) Shonn
  • Sometimes you don't get a chance to say goodbye.
Books
« on: March 04, 2011, 01:45:24 AM »
Hey, everyone. I ordered one of the new "Print to Order" copies of the Laws of the Wild and Laws of the Wild Changing Breeds 1 and I have to say I am very impressed. Anyone who has been holding off on buying them due to only questionably conditioned used copies existing and the over-inflated price should consider buying one of these new copies. They are like copies to the original versions, including the same cover and color, and are identical to the originals save for the age. I just got my copies in and I was quite pleased. I am still waiting for the other supplements to be reprinted.

The link is here(LotW,Rev.): $12.99
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=2959&it=1

And here(CB1): $9.99
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=12310&it=1
Pure Breed x3
Expressive x4

"When we die
We will die with our arms unbound
And this is why
This is why we fight"

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 03:21:51 AM »
I just ordered myself a spare copy.  That way, Joe and I each have our own softcover copies in good condition, plus the spiral bound PDF print which we offer for public use during games.

This is an extremely good buy!  If you spend the extra buck and get the PDF too (which you should), then it doesn't cost much to have a copy printed (double sided) and spiral bound at Office Max or Staples.  I also highly recommend this, if you can spend the few extra bucks on it.  The larger format and lay-flat spiral binding are very handy, though less durable with continued heavy use.
Marc Berman

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
Re: Books
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 08:25:30 PM »
The book arrived today, and I've examined it very closely with a discerning eye (I tend to do that sort of thing).  I can honestly say that it is virtually indistinguishable from an original printing.

Subtle, but inconsequential differences include:
  • A gold-looking (but not metallic) ink is used on the cover (title and claw mark), in place the actual pearl/metallic ink used on the original printing.
  • The copyright panel is updated to current dates/corporate names and denotes that the book was "Printed On Demand."
  • There is an additional blank page at the very back back with a barcode and date-stamp.
  • The "marble" pattern of the cover's background is slightly different, though coloring is the same... As if the background were taken from a different section of the same slab of computer-generated marble.
  • The paper is slightly thinner, making the thickness of the on-demand print about 15-20% thinner than an original print.

To your door in less than two weeks for $12.99 with no extra shipping.  This is an extremely good deal, and I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't have a physical copy of their own.  PDF's are nice, but sometimes only a tangible copy of the book you can hold in your hand will do.

It looks like DriveThruRPG.com has remedied a previous issue where you couldn't purchase more than one copy at a time, as there is now a quantity field on the order screen (though I've not tested it through an entire purchase).

I have also sent a suggestion to DriveThruRPG that it might be helpful (if possible) to add purchaser name to the bar-coded end page (similar to the watermark when a PDF is purchased), as it could help identify owners in the likely situation where there will be multiple people and multiple copies of the book in the same place at the same time.  This is also easy to remedy by consciously remembering to write your name on the inside cover, but still...

I didn't feel like taking a ton of pictures inside and out, but for those who must see with their own eyes, see the attached image.  The original printing is on the left, and the on-demand print is on the right.  Those who will be at next game can see it in person.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:19:08 PM by Marc (HST) »
Marc Berman