Author Topic: New Learning Times  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Carter Heyward

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Andrew
New Learning Times
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:58:05 AM »
Split from the actual thread in order to not clutter that with a discussion.

I was initially wondering how ST oversight will work on this? Do we simply keep posting in our character area that we are learning x from y? I can't imagine we can sustain months and months of scenes here or at game itself; there are only so many things you can do or talk about over months to learn, say, Brawlx2.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos.

Offline Lakota

• Heather
Re: New Learning Times
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:44:37 AM »
I was wondering the same thing.

For example I am set to teach Archer 1 and 2 to some people, and online scene has been started. Should I continue that thread for the time it takes each of the characters I am teaching to learn the level?

How does this apply to learning skills in other games? There are levels I want in certain abilities/skills that no one in our sept at present can teach which means going to character in a another game.
Sings the Rift Closed on Turtle's Back
Homid born
Uktena (purebreed 1)
Galliard
Athro
Pack: It's a Secret

Arianna_Fireau

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
Yes. If we can offer proper justification, can we learn abilities from people other than PC or NPCs?

Offline Erik Bridge

• (Guest) Erik
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 01:01:01 PM »
It could be that "So and So" shows you the basics of said skill, and you go off and practice it on your own, and then meet up on given times for correction and refinement.

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 01:45:21 PM »
Going forward, the date of new Ability dot purchase will be appended to the character sheet (either in a note next to that specific Ability, or within the Notes section).  It will be expected that the minimum time have passed from the purchase of one level of an Ability to the next.  It is as simple as that.
Marc Berman

Arianna_Fireau

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 05:27:25 PM »
Oh. That's cool. :-D I get it.

Offline Carter Heyward

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Andrew
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:39:59 PM »
And the in character scene requirements? Are we to have scene after scene? Or is one, or however many, enough? Will there be some sort of consistency in this? Guidelines?
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos.

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 07:16:26 PM »
It would be ideal if players submitted ongoing "I'm learning this..." in their downtime activities each month, or at the very least, "I'm starting this..." and "I'm finishing this..." at the beginning and end (actual purchasing portion) of the process.  A brief few sentences regarding whom you are learning from and the justification, would also be a pretty basic requirement.

As with any XP spend, if the staff has any questions or feels something in the spend is incomplete or needs to be addressed, one or more items may be challenged and/or denied.  For example:  A character may need to spend more than the normally required time (at ST discretion), if her schedule has also been jam-packed with learning other things during the same timeframe.   In a case such as this, an additional "You've been way too busy lately and it's going to take you another month or two" delay may be imposed.

It comes down to good roleplaying, and that is how it will be policed.  Is there anything wrong with allowing the prescribed amount of time to pass, then submitting an expenditure to up a level of Ability (for which you at least have a teacher, at minimum)?  Well, not really, if you want to be lame about it.  Good roleplaying involves real discussion and learning among characters.  Who are you learning from?  When are you learning from them?  Daily?  Weekly?  Multiple times per week?  How does the time spent doing this, factor into the other things you may be doing this downtime?  Particularly if you travel to other games a lot...  These are all things to consider.  Be creative!  It should look like you tried!

Bottom line is that if the process you show is bland and mechanical, lacking at least minimal interactions/scenes, then you risk losing your good roleplaying XP that month...  And that adds up!  :P
Marc Berman

Offline Amie Norwood

• (Guest) Julia
  • I know a guy that wants one of those...
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 02:31:26 AM »
I'm a little bit confused about when the XP is spent compared to the learning time.  For example, I have Garou Lore 1.  If I want to learn Garou Lore 2, do I spend an XP this month and then in four months' time have access to Garou Lore 2?  Or do I put it in my character sheet this month that I want to start learning GL2, and there is some sort of mark made, and in then in four months I spend the XP and have the access?
Amie Norwood
Homid Ragabash Cliath Bone Gnawer
Eldest Ragabash
Beta of Raging Skies

Garret

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 09:37:44 AM »
It works more around the line that you say:

"I want to learn Garou Lore 2, (so and so) is teaching me." and then we look back and see when you purchased Garou Lore 1, and if it was four months ago, we say, "Sure!" and plop it on your sheet.

Offline Amie Norwood

• (Guest) Julia
  • I know a guy that wants one of those...
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 12:34:24 PM »
A-ha!  It was a wording thing that confused me, then.  "Learning time" to me reads as time it takes to learn something after you've determined you want to learn it.  This is more (in my head) wait time.  Makes sense, thank you!
Amie Norwood
Homid Ragabash Cliath Bone Gnawer
Eldest Ragabash
Beta of Raging Skies