Author Topic: Brownie point system?  (Read 1658 times)

Dimitri

Brownie point system?
« on: December 24, 2006, 05:59:43 PM »
Incorperating a brownie point system or something of the like might be a good encouragement for better RPing. Groton by Night has one and it works pretty well. Thoughts? Questions? you can find it here.... www.grotonbynight.com

Offline Mike

• Mike Leitao
  • Mike L
Re: Brownie point system?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 08:34:48 AM »
I'm lazy and instead of my searching that website how about you post what the system is.

If it is based on xp, the rules of OWbN leave us little wiggle room to play around with xp.

post it and we can chat about it

Dimitri

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 01:32:14 PM »
At long last, here are the official rules governing Brownie Points, or Player Points as some call them:

Brownie Points (BPs) are earned for things that help to enhance the game as a whole. This can
be anything from helping setup, making props, or even helping players through tough times and
improving role-playing and understanding of the game. Some BPs will be awarded after help is
asked for, and some will be rewarded based on things observed by the STs. Remember, Big
Brother is watching…

Players can cash in BPs according to the following list:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 BPs Gain 1 Freebee Point during standard character creation
5 BPs Gain 1 XP for use on current character.
10 BPs Play a character of an Independent Clan
10 BPs Access to abnormal Disciplines. This supplies the in-game reason why a Camarilla Neonate may be able to learn Serpentis, as an example. XP will still be required to develop the Disciplines.
20 BPs Play an Elder character using special Elder creation rules
50 BPs Play rare characters (True Brujah, Harbingers, etc.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, this list is very small. If you have an idea of something else cool that you would like to do, bring it up to an ST and we can talk about it and assign a BP cost, if required.

Please understand, the idea behind these BPs is to encourage enhancement of the game by BOTH the help that generates the BPs and the skills and characters created with the earned BPs. It is not meant as a way into “Twinkhood” for your character, but rather a means to add variety and depth to the game. It is very easy to attempt abuse with BPs; if that happens, the STs reserve the right to veto either the awarding of BPs of their use, or both. Try to use them in a positive way as intended and everybody wins.

Offline Mike

• Mike Leitao
  • Mike L
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 01:44:29 PM »
ok  its a good idea,
Here is the problem with it as pertaining to OWbN.

One you can only earn a certain number of XP a month.  So anything else to earn extra xp is pretty useless to you players.

out of B/T/A gifts could be useful to the payers but it waters down the game and the reason why there are distinction between BTA's.  I'm not a big fan of say everyone in the sept knowing spirit speech.  It doesn't make for a good mix. 

I'm definitly willing to have a session with the players before the game on the 13th of january to discuss it.

Offline Stands Before Gaia

• RAtC Charter Member
  • (Guest)
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 02:41:30 PM »
Now, that number of xp is 8 per month.

I've always been a fan of rewarding good RP/Costuming/Proppage/Etc with an extra XP or two.  People who put more into the game grow faster...

Offline Mike

• Mike Leitao
  • Mike L
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 02:43:55 PM »
We already do that.

Players can earn up to two points of good role playing as well as one for downtime and one for attendance.

You really need to wow us to get the second point of xp.

but thats a potential 4 xp a game , two games a motnh thats already potentially 8 xp

Offline Stands Before Gaia

• RAtC Charter Member
  • (Guest)
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 02:47:08 PM »
It looks like that Brownie Points are given for the same things as bonus XP.  I don't see the need for a seperate system.