Author Topic: RAtC PCs vs. Visiting PCs [Was: Re: Game 3/26]  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Conor (Former ST)

• Conor
  • Conor
  • Storyteller
RAtC PCs vs. Visiting PCs [Was: Re: Game 3/26]
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:54:56 PM »
Armando shall not be at game on 3/26 but in anyone wanting to interact with Tom Greer will get their chance he needs the XP you see.  Cookies and death bars and salad woot!

So, uh, Joe...  this is just the guy who hasn't actually been to game since September and has only recently started seriously reading forums again, but...  didn't Andrew and Marc *just ask* for this sort of thing to not happen?

If you have a Rage Across the Cape character, and come to Rage Across the Cape, we'd prefer you to play that character. While we don't mind visitors, we've noticed a trend recently of players not playing their RAtC characters, which in some cases has detracted from the development of and enjoyment of game for RAtC characters (and some players).

I run this game for RAtC Players, period.  I and my staff are more than happy to allow visitors a free ride on the plot wagon at our games, in fact we'll even give you some XP for it.  Interaction is what this organization is all about, after all.  It just comes down to the fact that players who maintain (and play) an RAtC PC tend to "give more back" to the game (their fellow RAtC players) than visitors possibly could.  When a game becomes a game of visitors, it loses some (or all) of it's internal autonomy and resolve.  I do not want to see this happen to RAtC.

Doing that right after they specifically asked not to seems a little rude, man.

Offline PEBE

• Joe T
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:27:29 PM »
I was going to make an announcement at game, but since it's being brought up here, I'll say it here:

You earn XP for ONE character per game, regardless of how many characters you choose to play.

Regardless of how many 'hats' you choose to wear, XP is given to your RAtC PC unless specific arrangements are made beforehand. By this, I mean that you will need to convince myself and the staff why you are coming to this game, only to earn XP for another game's character.

We run this game for RAtC players who enjoy the role-play and plot we provide. I do not do this often-thankless job as an excuse to give people XP. If XP is your primary concern, go play TT.
Joe
PC: Purifies the Earth with the Blood of his Enemies, 'Brother to the Winds' (aka "Pebe", also (to the Corax) "Mr Grumpy Pants Uktena")

All complaints must be submitted in the form of lyrical rhymes!
2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2

Offline Benjamin

• (Guest) Joshua M
  • "We're not crazy. All three of us are sane."
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 12:50:01 AM »
Everyone please join in:

THANK YOU MARC AND JOE FOR DOING THIS OFTEN-THANKLESS JOB!!!

;D

Also, thank you to all our Narrators. All of you help make the game awesome. Even when you think we're whining, we're doing so because the thing we're upset about is detracting from the overall complete awesomeness. So, thanks, and keep being so amazingly awesome.

((OH, and Anna, I will be going, and I'd like poultry please. Yummy yummy poultry. Thank you!))
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:51:49 AM by Benjamin »
Benjamin
Homid, Ahroun, Silent Strider, Fostern
Pure Breed (Silent Strider): 3
Tireless, Graceful
Magnetic, Charming
Vigilant, Intuitive
Fair Glabro
Owl Wings in the Umbra

Offline Anyanka Kuznetsova

• (Guest) Mandy
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:02:33 AM »
To marc, joe, and all the narrators: thank you soooooo much for everything you do!!!!!!! you guys are amazing!!!!!!!!!! Having personally Sted games before I understand the stress and thanklessness that comes with it and you guys are amazing!!!!!!! Thank you thank you!!!
Anyanka Kuznetsova: Homid born Half Moon, Grandchild of дед гром of the rank of Cliath, Purebreed two, Mark of the Predator

"My father always use to tell me that when I was older, I could choose to be good, or I could choose to win, it's funny just how much winning my family has been doing."

Offline First

• Chip Davis
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 10:26:33 AM »
There might be nuts in my offering...Be ye warned.

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:05:26 PM »
Ok, so I feel like it's pretty clear that some people may be taking this the wrong way, so let me start over.

I run RAtC for RAtC players, of course, but above all I run RAtC for players.

If you want to visit with a character from another game, then by all means please do.  The character will be awarded XP (subject to your home staff) for doing so.  I encourage player travel, and I certainly do not discourage it.

An RAtC PC is not required just because you, the player, like to travel here with another PC.  An RAtC PC is only offered.  You should not have a sense of obligation about it, just because you like to travel here.

If, however, you do have an RAtC PC, then we ask that you please play it.

As an RAtC player, we feel that you have an obligation to play your RAtC character.  Mixing in some visits of other characters is fine, but you should not be totally ignoring your RAtC character either.

For each player with a character calling RAtC home, there is an amount of overhead in the overall management of the game.  You are factored into things when the staff make certain considerations and write plot.  You have a character area that I and the staff check periodically, even if just to be sure we didn't miss something.  You may have packmates or other characters (and their players) wondering where you are some or all of the time.  You leave my staff and I to wonder when, or if, we should expect your character to return.

There will be some changes to the house rules forthcoming, regarding how character inactivity is governed, and it's implications.  I feel obligated to make those things more clear, since the existing information in our By-Laws is pretty vague and open-ended.

I will also make more clear in the house rules, that only one PC may earn XP for attending an RAtC game.  That can be an RAtC PC or a visiting PC (assuming both made significant appearances), at player's discretion, but never both.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:22:51 PM by Marc (HST) »
Marc Berman