Author Topic: Reminder  (Read 3394 times)

Offline Mass Trauma NPC

• (Guest) Rick
Reminder
« on: July 24, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »
"While the "ugly" scene is in progress, do not start any new threads involving your character.  This includes threads that may be off-shoots or relocations of current or previous scenes.  Just continue to play out what you are involved in.  This will allow both your character and the staff to focus their attention on the issue at hand, without the distraction of numerous other scenes in progress." - Via House Rules

This is still a thing, Yes?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:33:21 PM by Quinn Dorhety »

Offline AndrewD

• Andrew Devrell
  • Andrew
Re: Reminder
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »
In general, yes. We don't police this closely as we do trust people not to go too crazy. The spirit of this House Rule was to prevent confusion about where a PC might be at a certain time and to not have a PC in more than one scene where chops may be used.
I am the shadow on the moon at night
Filling your dreams to the brim with fright!

Offline Arthur A Dennison

• (Guest) Shonn
  • Sometimes you don't get a chance to say goodbye.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 04:46:22 PM »
Like, say, PEBE and 7M being in both the Travis and Monroe scenes?
Pure Breed x3
Expressive x4

"When we die
We will die with our arms unbound
And this is why
This is why we fight"

Offline PEBE

• Joe T
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:28:53 PM »
How are those scenes running concurrently? If 7M is the MoC then the Challenge would obviously wait for him. When I entered the Travis scene, I was under the impression that the Challenge had not started because the MoC clearly wasn't at the Mound yet. So to me, the Travis scene took place between Monroe entering the sept but before the Challenge with Mick.

If my impression is incorrect, please let me know so I can withdraw my action from the Mick/Monroe challenge.
Joe
PC: Purifies the Earth with the Blood of his Enemies, 'Brother to the Winds' (aka "Pebe", also (to the Corax) "Mr Grumpy Pants Uktena")

All complaints must be submitted in the form of lyrical rhymes!
2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2

• (Guest) Shonn
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 05:31:18 PM »
I am confused as well because of some of the commentary in the thread where Travis is. I know that 'Bad Steve' has made some intimations that he is 'waiting for the other challenge to finish'.
Pure Breed x3
Expressive x4

"When we die
And this is why
This is why we fight"

Offline Mass Trauma NPC

• (Guest) Rick
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 05:33:07 PM »
Yeah, Dan hadn't posted in the Monroe scene because of it.

Offline AndrewD

• Andrew Devrell
  • Andrew
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 05:41:46 PM »
In this case, I think PEBE should wait until the Mick/Monroe scene is over, if Dan himself is waiting. It will require some minor editing to that scene, and I would post in the Travis scene that it would be obvious that the challenge with Mick and Monroe is going on (since the caern is small enough that you would be able to hear and perhaps see the Challenge Mound from where the bridge is).

Hurrah for online scenes with RPS confusing things (always).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:42:35 PM by Andrew (Head Storyteller) »

Offline PEBE

• Joe T
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 05:56:17 PM »
7M leaving the Travis scene would start the timer for when he arrived in the Mick/Monroe scene. Bad Steve's pointing to the challenge happening suggests the general attitude of the sept, not a specific 'it's happening now' because clearly, the MoC isn't there yet.. since he's the one that started the Mick/Monroe scene. Again, how does this change that 7M will leave the Travis scene at some point to start the next scene (Monroe/Mick)? It's just a matter of when, and there is nothing forcing him to do it at his leisure. The sequence of the scenes doesn't change.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:57:19 PM by Joe (Storyteller) »
Joe
PC: Purifies the Earth with the Blood of his Enemies, 'Brother to the Winds' (aka "Pebe", also (to the Corax) "Mr Grumpy Pants Uktena")

All complaints must be submitted in the form of lyrical rhymes!
2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2

Offline AndrewD

• Andrew Devrell
  • Andrew
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »
Apparently I should look at stuff before I go with a gut reaction.

The Travis scene is just a conversation at this point and would have taken only moments to complete, and the Mick/Monroe scene would have waited on Mick's arrival (whatever time "eventually" means). Also, it started after the Mick/Monroe scenes, so I am going to say that since the Travis scene started many hours after the initial Mick/Monroe one, the Mick/Monroe one gets precedence.

• (Guest) Shonn
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 06:18:30 PM »
I concur with all remarks as stated. Merely asking for clarification. Thanks for the help.
Pure Breed x3
Expressive x4

"When we die
And this is why
This is why we fight"

Offline Seven Mountains

• Vance
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 06:21:42 PM »
Seriously if we start debating how long it takes to go to a mound for a challenge or what not then we have some issues.

I started the other scene so it could progress. Next time I will wait the 2 weeks to RP
Seven Mountains
Ragabash, Fostern
Silver Fang Pure Breed x4
Speaks: Russian, English

• (Guest) Shonn
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »
Not debating time, just asking for clarification on the rules and the situation. Some people were opting out of one scene or the other because they thought they could not participate in both. Information never hurt anyone.
Pure Breed x3
Expressive x4

"When we die
And this is why
This is why we fight"

• (Guest) Shonn
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 06:30:46 PM »
Never meant to hurt anyone...rather. That other statement is false.
Pure Breed x3
Expressive x4

"When we die
And this is why
This is why we fight"

Offline Seven Mountains

• Vance
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 06:35:23 PM »
Sorry, my reply sounded kinda douchey. It's all good.
Seven Mountains
Ragabash, Fostern
Silver Fang Pure Breed x4
Speaks: Russian, English

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 07:05:16 PM »
Participation overlap between concurrent or adjacent scenes is one of those things that always irked me as an ST.  That being said, I think "arrival" scenes are a whole other animal.

It is very common for arrival scenes to happen (in real-life time) not only immediately before, but concurrent with, and sometimes even well after the start of some other Scene of ImportanceTM, such as a challenge or gathering for the departed.  It happens all...the...time.

The problem is that although the arrival scene is a necessary prerequisite to the Scene of ImportanceTM, it is no less an opportunity for fun and interesting roleplay than any other scene.  This can, and does, frequently cause arrival scenes to run long.  I've seen arrival scenes that took longer to play out than the reason for coming.

As long as there are no "dire consequences" involved in an arrival scene, I've never had a problem with characters proceeding directly to the Scene of ImportanceTM as soon as they are clear to enter and do so.  This only requires players to be cognizant of the progress going on in the Scene of ImportanceTM, if they choose to continue the arrival scene also.

To use the current case as an example, now that 7M has left the arrival scene for the mound, others in the scene who plan on being present for the challenge ought to see that it's time to do the same. I see it as a common sense, self-induced wind-down.  It's easy enough to say "Hey, we should really head to the mound, lets continue this conversation after the challenge?" then start a new scene for the continuation once the challenge is concluded.
Marc Berman