Author Topic: Revisiting Might  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Carter Heyward

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Andrew
Revisiting Might
« on: September 14, 2009, 08:47:38 AM »
Revisiting this. The house rule for this does not state how many times you can use Might, but I was under the impression (and this is how it has been played) that you can only use Might once per turn, not on every action within a turn. That is, you get a single Might retest, not unlimited Might retests.

Clarification, please?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:40:18 AM by Calvin Yellowhair »
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos.

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
Re: Revisiting Might
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 10:04:26 AM »
Correct, once per turn, as with any other type of retest that can be used multiple times per session.
Marc Berman

Offline Alexander Amarandus van Bokkelen

• Conor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 01:48:05 PM »
I've sung this one before, but I'll try again:

Most of this game's house rules are good, but the rank advantages are bad, and might is the worst, by which I mean the most powerful. (With a possible exception for the ability to test down Ag, not sure, depends on circumstances, etc.) This game already has rank advantages by way of tiered gifts and trait maximums, and the might/test down rules add more chops to already-chop-heavy combat.

If you want rank advantages, I heartily suggest taking the harder-to-frenzy rules from tabletop and retrofitting them for MET.  (A free retest to resist Rage-induced frenzy for all athro and above would not be a bad thing.  Giving Adren a bonus trait or two in lieu of that retest might not be a bad idea either.)

tl;dr: blah blah blah I'm Conor I think about mechanics a lot and think you should listen to me blah blah
His Grace Lord Alexander Amarandus van Bokkelen, "Keeper of the King's Peace"
"Withstands Winter's Call to Find the Warmth of Home"
Silver Fang and Grand Duke of House Wyrmfoe
Pack Alpha of Screeching Wrath
Bearer of Gaius and Marius
Wielder of Blitzkrieg's Fury
Eldest Ahroun

Offline AndrewD

• Andrew Devrell
  • Andrew
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 03:21:05 PM »
The problem with this is that the tiered gifts and trait ceilings do not make the difference between Cliath and Fostern and Adren and Athro mean much at all. Also the fact that the trait ceilings differ by only 2 is also a minimal benefit with all the myriad powers (and items) that grant extra traits.
I am the shadow on the moon at night
Filling your dreams to the brim with fright!

Arianna_Fireau

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 03:23:51 PM »
Andrew... How did you time travel?

Edit: WHOA. I did too.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 03:24:16 PM by Arianna »

Offline AndrewD

• Andrew Devrell
  • Andrew
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 04:29:54 PM »
No idea. And then, suddenly, all was right...

Also, this is not to say I disagree with Conor's idea about Rank benefits, just his reasons.

I am the shadow on the moon at night
Filling your dreams to the brim with fright!

Offline Ryan McKenna

• (Guest) Jeremy
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 04:48:16 PM »
Case in point on this, every game we've visited with the exception of Hidden Flame uses the same rank advantages. And it works out fine as long as you let people know you can only use might in situations X and Y but not Z. Ya know using might when using tooth and claw or melee weapons but not dodging or soaking, like here. Otherwise you've got Garou who might have more traits than a human but a human has almost the same chance to throw a car.
Ryan "Razor Fang"  McKenna
Homid
Cliath
Modi
Get of Fenris
Ghost Wolves under Clashing Boom boom
Sept of the Hidden Flame
Pure Breed: 3 (Get of Fenris)

Offline Baron Tarl

• (Guest) Dan
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 04:24:47 PM »
Rank benefits came and are used from the fact without them a great many twinking/powerfully built /right bta combination characters were more then capable of mopping the floor with athro elders physically.

The use of rank benefits by many games to put the favor in the hands of the higher ranking character because in TT games you have a near unviersal exp growth of the TT party. Sure bob may miss some exp cause he had work that one week but its not the huge groundbreaking difference of those that play in regions where 8 a month is standard where others 2-4 is far more common.

As really 11 vs 18 is nothing of a gap especialy in MET>

Dan
Whose had this discussion plenty of times.