Author Topic: Dead PC  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Mike

• Mike Leitao
  • Mike L
Dead PC
« on: December 16, 2008, 08:28:53 PM »
No not that kind

My home computer shit the bed.
My motherboard is fried and I have to try and get a new one.

Posts at night and on the weekend may be slower then the already turtle pace they are

Offline Eset

• (Guest) Emilly Beth
Re: Dead PC
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:30:35 PM »
dude... you have no idea how much I sympathize with you... I had that very thing happen to me during my last semester at college... during week of finals... it sucks sweaty monkey balls...

best of luck to you...
Large crinos claw scars down the right side of her neck onto her shoulder.

When in homid: dressed in blue jeans, black T-shirt, mismatched shoes and a non-descript backpack.

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 01:46:04 AM »
Well, the motherboard should have shipped today, and it was 2-3 day shipping, so I should have it either Saturday or Monday.  Probably have you up an running again the same day.

And by the way...  Add $10 to the cost of the parts/shipping you owe me...  I had to grab a vial of thermal paste for the processor heat-sink...  I got the good stuff, because it's kinda important when it comes to proper cooling and not frying the processor. :P
Marc Berman

Offline Thoth

• (Guest) Nick
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 07:45:56 AM »
None of this would have happened if you didn't play the EVIL WoW for days on end!!!!!

EVIL I say...EVIL
Thoth Takes the Back Door to Find the Heart
Silent Strider
Ragabash
Homid
Athro
Gaia's Edge Pack under Ares
Eldest Garou

Offline Mike

• Mike Leitao
  • Mike L
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 08:21:03 AM »
No none of it wouldnt happen if I learned how to shut down my pc at night

Offline Eset

• (Guest) Emilly Beth
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
I agree with Nick... this is your computer's way of saying it doesn't like WoW ;)

When in homid: dressed in blue jeans, black T-shirt, mismatched shoes and a non-descript backpack.

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 11:35:11 AM »
Confirmed that the motherboard shipped last night...  Should definitely have it by Saturday or Monday....  Meanwhile, on the operating table:

Marc Berman

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 12:08:57 PM »
So, when we bought the replacement motherboard for like $30 bucks online, I was making the assumption that the Geek Squad guy you talked to was right, and that the motherboard is in fact shot.  I am getting suspicious though, that the symptoms are similar to and could also be the result of a shot power supply.  Worse come to worse, if replacing the motherboard doesn't take care of it, a new power supply (20+4 pin...  400-500 watt would be best) will probably run you around $100-120.  If and when that time comes, I can go to best buy with you to pick one up...  Swapping out the power supply should only take a few minutes at that point.
Marc Berman

Offline Kikea

• PK
  • PK
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 12:22:03 PM »
He's dead, Jim.

I am so glad that the only place my computers will ever be spread out like that is in the factory.

Tribe Mac, represent.

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 12:27:53 PM »
Mac has had it's share of problems you know :P

They have a history of putting out laptops that have too much thermal paste slathered between the processors and heat sinks, which causes them to run way hot.  The last time around, rather than do a recall to fix the problem, they issued a firmware upgrade which just changed the fan settings to make them run faster and thus increase cooling power... problem is, that started to lead to failure of the fans.
Marc Berman

Offline Eset

• (Guest) Emilly Beth
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 12:49:20 PM »
wow... so I read that last post... and my brain heard words... but all I could process was... wan wa ... wan waa wana waaa (charlie brown teacher style) I don't speak computereese I guess....

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 01:28:31 PM »
Well, the processor (the chip in a computer) gets hot while the computer is running, particularly when it's running more intensive programs.  To keep the heat from frying the thing, they have little aluminum or copper fins attached with a fan to dissipate the heat.  Even though the surface of the chip and block that dissipates heat are relatively flat, there can be microscopic surface imperfections that reduce contact between the two pieces.  thermal compound fills in the gaps and makes a tight thermal connection between the two pieces so heat gets dissipated properly.  If there's too much thermal compound, then the parts are not really touching enough, and heat dissipation goes down... way down.

If anyone cared to know exactly what I was talking about lol  ;D
Marc Berman

Offline Eset

• (Guest) Emilly Beth
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »
:her head bobs up and down slowly as she goes: "uh... huh..." (with a *blank* expression on her face...) "thanks for... *cough* making it so much clearer... *grin*

Maybe if I could SEE it it would make more sense...

Offline Mass Trauma NPC

• (Guest) Rick
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 01:45:05 PM »
Metal get hot. Goo help cool metal. Too much goo bad! Need more fans to cool metal!

Offline Eset

• (Guest) Emilly Beth
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 01:48:22 PM »
ooooooh I get it... *wait... Rich is making fun of me....* *glare*

Offline Kikea

• PK
  • PK
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 07:49:40 AM »
It's only fair that, a day or so after mocking Mike's computer, mine decides that booting is for commies and queers, and just won't do it.

Exactly how I ended up with a capitalist heterosexual computer, I don't quite know, but that's not the issue here.

In another hour or so, I'll call Apple's tech support and see if the extended warranty is still active.  *crosses fingers*  In the meantime, I'll be scarcer on the boards and slower to respond as I have to use this funny keyboard and get PC germs all over me.  *shudder*

Oh, and share with my husband.  Yeah yeah yeah.

Offline Kikea

• PK
  • PK
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 10:25:49 AM »
Emily is awesome and drove me to the mall and sat around with me for two hours in the Apple store while they (well, mostly I) fixed the minor issue.  I'm all set.

Arianna_Fireau

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 03:08:22 PM »
Yay Emmy (:

Offline Taweret

• Emmy Varden, RAtC Charter Member
  • Emmy
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 04:03:43 PM »
I can be bribed with cookies.
Taweret 'Ascends the Glass Tower'
Athro Homid Silent Strider Galliard
Beta of 'Curators of the Quiet Road' under Peregrine Falcon

Offline Mike

• Mike Leitao
  • Mike L
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 08:52:06 AM »
Sooooooooo

Marc fixed my hardware issue but now I have a software issue.
Fucking XP crashed on me and now I have to search for my install disks, which I have no idea where they are.

ARRRRGGHHH!