Author Topic: cub renown  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Nike 'Slays the Patriarchy' Strilakos

• Anna Bradley
cub renown
« on: March 16, 2016, 08:58:49 PM »
i didnt realize we DIDN'T do this, but we should -

some people choose to play cubs but the game is designed to start at cliath,  so we should not penalize folksfor RPing a cub.

to that end, cubs should get renown.  when they go through their RoP, their renown should bounce up the dots needed to cliath but they should not lose what they earned.

so example:

Bob plays a cub and gets .9 glory and .2 honor.  he goes through his RoP and since he is a philodox he would normally start at 0g 3h 0w.  but he played for many months!  he SHOULD be at 0.9g 3.2h and 0w...
Homid | Ahroun | Elder | Black fury

Pure Breed 2(black fury)

Offline Matt (HST)

• Matt Kamm
  • (Storytellers)
  • Storyteller
Re: cub renown
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 10:42:23 AM »
I think this a cool idea. I also know some people believe that you shouldn't GET a Rite of Passage until you have accumulated Cliath Renown for your Auspice, which also implies that you get to keep whatever Renown you got as a Cub.
Thirty minutes or it's free? EXCELLENT!
Once again, I am free to smite the world as I did in days long past.

Offline Nike 'Slays the Patriarchy' Strilakos

• Anna Bradley
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 10:49:05 AM »
i think THAT would jsut be mean.  "come in as claith, or we will MAKE you not be at the same level as other for forever!" no way iwould support that, it penalizes people for wantign to RP a cub
Homid | Ahroun | Elder | Black fury

Pure Breed 2(black fury)

Offline Seven Mountains

• Vance
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 08:18:51 AM »
I think it should be the players choice. Some folks prefer to earn the renown to go on their RoP but I think the default of you can go on your RoP at any time  is fair.

Perhaps any Renown above and beyond what you need to become a Cliath you keep?

for instance if you are an Ahroun and need 3 Glory and go on your Rop at .4 Honor 2.2 Glory and 1.1 Wisdom you finish your RoP at .4H 3G 1.1W ?
Seven Mountains
Ragabash, Fostern
Silver Fang Pure Breed x4
Speaks: Russian, English

Offline Conor (Former ST)

• Conor
  • Conor
  • Storyteller
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 11:00:02 AM »
What Vance describes is exactly what I implemented when I was running Renown.

Offline Marc (Admin)

• Marc Berman
  • (Storytellers)
  • Administrator & Storyteller
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 07:10:53 PM »
During at least some point during my tenure as H, I remember doing exactly as Anna describes in the first post.  However, over time my stance has changed on this.

What Vance describes makes the most sense.  Starting Renown for new a Cliath (that wasn't played as a Cub) is trying to account for some period of time during which that Cliath was a Cub, and during which time they did things fitting of their Auspice.  The "Renown for things you did as a Cub" is already built-in.  If you earn more than that by the time you RoP, then bonus!  Of course, I wouldn't have a problem with anyone wanting to opt-out of the extra if they so chose.
"When bad things happen,
 I know you want to believe they are a joke,
 but sometimes life is scary and dark.
 That is why we must find the light" –BMO

Offline Kiara

• Steph
    • Steph's Stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 12:11:45 PM »
I too agree with the idea of anything above and beyond sticks around. We dont want to slow people down (in the case of RoP) starting at base is fine but we also dont want to penalize people for roleplaying out being a cub.

Offline Berek (ST)

• Day-old bread
  • (Storytellers)
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 12:25:12 PM »
As the game's current cub player, I'd love to start actually accruing renown. And I think it would be a better precendent for future PCs, regardless of whether or not it matters to me personally.
Next time, Gadget. Next tiiiiiime!!

• Conor
  • Conor
  • Storyteller
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 12:28:56 PM »
We dont want to slow people down (in the case of RoP) starting at base is fine but we also dont want to penalize people for roleplaying out being a cub.

I don't want to slow people down *administratively*, as an ST.  But I do want to give the Den Parent PC (if it's a PC) the option to slow any given cub player down by saying "you're not ready."

The number of times I've heard someone say "who the HELL was your Den Parent, anyway?" in the org is way too high for me to be comfortable requiring any PC to promote any other PC to Cliath if they're not comfortable with it yet.

This is not really that related to renown, though.

• Conor
  • Conor
  • Storyteller
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 12:30:51 PM »
Oh, I should make clear, though - I think that in the case of a PC who wants to go Cub->Cliath and a PC Den Parent who is obstructing that in a way the Cub player is finding Real Unfun, I *would* be comfortable using ST powers to say that some other NPC comes in, becomes Den Parent, and says "yeah okay".