Author Topic: March 2016 House Rules Revisions  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Berek (ST)

• Day-old bread
  • (Storytellers)
March 2016 House Rules Revisions
« on: March 15, 2016, 11:09:44 AM »
Hey guys - figured we could use this as a place to start sorting through the house rules that we want to revisit, independent of any public discussion we get from players. Do we want to put everything in one thread, or create a new thread for each rule, taggged 3/16 so we know it goes with this discussion?
Next time, Gadget. Next tiiiiiime!!

Offline Nike 'Slays the Patriarchy' Strilakos

• Anna Bradley
Re: March 2016 House Rules Revisions
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 11:10:37 AM »
get input here on which rules, then a thread for each one...
Homid | Ahroun | Elder | Black fury

Pure Breed 2(black fury)

Offline Berek (ST)

• Day-old bread
  • (Storytellers)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 11:14:48 AM »
Whoops! I meant to put this in the staff area.  :-[

Edit: Might as well make this the public thread. Have at it!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:17:05 AM by Berek (ST) »

Offline Travis West

• Tom
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »
Oooh oooh!  Me! Pick ME!

Harano

Current Rule:
To clarify, the following is how Harano is handled in RAtC.

If you request a chop, you will be asked to make a Willpower test against a staff member, retest Willpower, and retest anything else that is appropriate. (i.e. Luck)

If you fail this series of chops, you give the ST your character sheet, then you make a new character. 

If a member of the staff comes to YOU for a Harano chop, chances are it will not usually result in character death unless the player wants it to. Those situations will be handled on a case by case basis.

What I Think:
-Harano is a mental test against 10 traits according to pg. 214
-I think Harano allows for interesting role play, and there is a defined MET rule system for surviving Harano and living with it; thus should not be an automatic GNC should you ask for a Harano challenge for your character, especially given that there are rites and gifts that help ease the psychological state.
Travis "Rages Against the Machine" West
Homid Adren Ahroun of the Wendigo
WENDIGO

• Anna Bradley
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »
-character creation of cubs
-purchasing abilities past 5,  as per book
-do we want to discuss possibility of adding abilities to challenges?  (this contraindicates the previous thing btw)
-lets codify our awesome baby-gestating rule!

Pure Breed 2(black fury)

Offline Travis West

• Tom
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 11:47:28 AM »
Oooh oooh!  Pick me!  Pick me! (Again)

Numen and You:

"Alternatively, the spirit may lend the Garou the use of a Charm it possesses for a single use."

Concern: Certain Charms do massive amounts of damage without a chop or are extremely powerful in their own right.  (Break Reality, I'm looking at you... Freeze... you too... you know what you did)

Adjustment/Clarification: Upon spending a Gnosis to "borrow" the charm in question, the Garou must be able to pay any additional costs associated with the Charm.

Result: Certain charms like Freeze require spending Rage (thus Garou cannot borrow it, unless they are an Elder Glasswalker with Chaos Mechanics), and Break Reality would be out of the question since a condition of failure is a loss in Essence which Garou do not possess.  The same goes for Blast which costs an Essence as well.  

This limits which Charms a Garou can personally use, however nothing will be stopping the spirit from arriving to use their own Charms on the Garou's behalf, however they would be in the fight and thus could be destroyed or injured as the background warns.  This way, powerful manifestations of spiritual might come with a certain amount of risk.
WENDIGO

• Anna Bradley
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 11:51:32 AM »
Oooh oooh!  Pick me!  Pick me! (Again)

Numen and You:

"Alternatively, the spirit may lend the Garou the use of a Charm it possesses for a single use."

Concern: Certain Charms do massive amounts of damage without a chop or are extremely powerful in their own right.  (Break Reality, I'm looking at you... Freeze... you too... you know what you did)

Adjustment/Clarification: Upon spending a Gnosis to "borrow" the charm in question, the Garou must be able to pay any additional costs associated with the Charm.

Result: Certain charms like Freeze require spending Rage (thus Garou cannot borrow it, unless they are an Elder Glasswalker with Chaos Mechanics), and Break Reality would be out of the question since a condition of failure is a loss in Essence which Garou do not possess.  The same goes for Blast which costs an Essence as well.  

This limits which Charms a Garou can personally use, however nothing will be stopping the spirit from arriving to use their own Charms on the Garou's behalf, however they would be in the fight and thus could be destroyed or injured as the background warns.  This way, powerful manifestations of spiritual might come with a certain amount of risk.

it says you get the charm for a single use.  nothing says that use has to be the same round as the gnosis spending.  also i would say that any loss of essence for a garou get translated to loss of gnosis.

Pure Breed 2(black fury)

Offline Travis West

• Tom
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 11:59:16 AM »

it says you get the charm for a single use.  nothing says that use has to be the same round as the gnosis spending.  also i would say that any loss of essence for a garou get translated to loss of gnosis.

This should be its own thread.  I've got follow ups.
WENDIGO

Offline Kiara

• Steph
    • Steph's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 11:01:28 PM »
I would love to see clear listings of available totems in the area so that everyone is held to the same list unless significant role play is allowed.

I would like the adding traits idea to show up in our game because I think it allows a certain depth of play of NPCs and such.

I would love to see us be able to work the STs to figure out a system for backgrounds to be worked through. I have 4 dots of kin going to be buying the fifth after years of role play and Im terribly interested in that.

I would love to see clarification on what realms are open to visiting on pack trips and missions.

Are there clarifications on how specializations work in this game?

I would love to see an agreed upon change of genre listing as a lot of what we do has progressed beyond regular genre play and I would like to see it posted for clarity where an incoming player/character can read it.

Can we clarify Staffs views of the red star plots and rehash what happened and what we are accepting as rote there? Ive heard a lot of things in conversations with players and just want to see where my Garou Lore 5 prophecy knowing character would be on it.

I have more of these...will think about them.

Offline Matt (HST)

• Matt Kamm
  • (Storytellers)
  • Storyteller
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 10:18:44 AM »
These are all great suggestions! Staff are going to try to post information for the stuff that's already decided (like the baby gestation rule) and stuff that's strictly Staff's call (what the deal is with the Red Star, what Totems are available in the area).

To start with, Specialties can only be purchased at ability level 4 or above, cost 1 XP, and put you one Trait up on challenges within your specialty.

I encourage people to feel free to create separate specific threads to discuss possible new rules like buying Abilities above 6, adding Abilities to challenges, and use of Numen Charms. I want to hear what the players think and want before making any final decisions on these.
Thirty minutes or it's free? EXCELLENT!
Once again, I am free to smite the world as I did in days long past.

Offline Berek (ST)

• Day-old bread
  • (Storytellers)
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 09:51:30 PM »
I would love to see an agreed upon change of genre listing as a lot of what we do has progressed beyond regular genre play and I would like to see it posted for clarity where an incoming player/character can read it.

In what sense do you mean change of genre? Just so we don't end up talking across each other.

Offline Travis West

• Tom
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 01:51:43 AM »
May we has W20? Pretty please?

Also, writeup for tt gifts.
WENDIGO

• Anna Bradley
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 10:51:29 AM »
nooooo evil :P

Pure Breed 2(black fury)

Offline Kiara

• Steph
    • Steph's Stuff
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »
I mean we play in a less harano filled game where tribes automatically play nicely with each other based out OOG rules. I would love to see a write up of the history that brought the game there and why we behave so completely out of the norms for the characters, tribes, auspices, and traditions from the book.
I am in no way disfavorably looking at the situation but I feel someone entering our game from the outside might be confused and therefore should have a resource to explain.

Offline Matt (HST)

• Matt Kamm
  • (Storytellers)
  • Storyteller
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 12:27:31 PM »
I am more and more digging Steph's idea of a "genre statement" for our game, explaining our values and norms and how they got that way both in- and out- of character. This would be a big project, but a cool and worthwhile one, I think.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 01:03:21 PM by Matt (HST) »
Thirty minutes or it's free? EXCELLENT!
Once again, I am free to smite the world as I did in days long past.

Offline Travis West

• Tom
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 02:00:56 PM »
It's not! There's actually resources from MES and MET that is literally a quick worksheet that rates certain themes and their likelihood to occur.

You just need to get together and fill it in. Lemme see if I can find one. Style sheets... all the time.
WENDIGO