Author Topic: Holy teleporting Garou, Batman!  (Read 2006 times)

Offline JamesLee

• (Guest) Mac
Holy teleporting Garou, Batman!
« on: May 23, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »
Or more seriously titled: What is our general consensus on the various time fudging we do? Particularly re: travel time and even more particularly re: the Ferry.

Warning: I'm obsessive about consistency but understand that not everyone is. This is a question of "how realistic are we trying to be?" rather than a request that we be more realistic.

So a long time ago, we had these cool Umbral bridges that made transportation between the mainland and Nantucket quick and painless.  Then they died, and transportation was a PITA, but Ari set up this sweet spirit-transport system that cost a gnosis each time.  Then that ran out, and in theory since then most of us have been taking the Ferry.

The "fast" ferry schedules for Nantucket quote an hour of travel time and cost about twice as much as the cheap ferries, and the cheapest look to have tickets around 20 bucks and can go upwards of two hours travel time.  And that's all assuming that Garou arrive as soon as the ferries are scheduled to leave, when they don't really seem to run that often.

We fudge this frequently, particularly at game (when the Philodox Council would have had to RP hours of 'we're on a boat' time even though we were at least using Dominic's speed boat rather than any ferries), so mostly what I'm asking is where the line is or should be set.  Do we have free, time-traveling ferries that move with utter inconsistency at the speed of plot, do we have slightly better-than-reality ferries that leave once every fifteen minutes, take half an hour, and cost five bucks, or what?

I care about this in part because I like having a basic set of expectations for the world that I can trust, (my personal derangement), but also because there was a plot involved in the whole "travel sucks" thing and even though most packs have territories on the mainland, this no longer appears to be something we pay attention to.

If it's something no one wants to pay attention to, I can get on that bus, but I wasn't sure what thoughts were on the matter.
"Alone we traveled on with nothing but a shadow.
We fled, far away."

Offline JamesLee

• (Guest) Mac
Re: Holy teleporting Garou, Batman!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »
First! Also, that was waaay longer than intended. *cough* Sorry 'bout that.
We fled, far away."

Offline PEBE

• Joe T
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
The unofficial answer is that we allow time to be 'bent' in non-combat/non-stressful situations.

The official answer is that we expect players to police themselves regarding their timing. If you have no other way but to travel via Ferry, you should be looking at an actual ferry schedule for the "next available," again, with forums it's hard to follow exact timestamping so again, we expect people to police themselves. If there is ever an issue, please make sure the staff is aware of it as we cannot follow every single post/thread as much as we try to.
Joe
PC: Purifies the Earth with the Blood of his Enemies, 'Brother to the Winds' (aka "Pebe", also (to the Corax) "Mr Grumpy Pants Uktena")

All complaints must be submitted in the form of lyrical rhymes!
2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2

Offline JamesLee

• (Guest) Mac
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 06:17:56 PM »
Erring on the side of realism bent toward convenience sounds good, and is about the line I was operating under.

Not sure what would constitute a problem, but if I don't know what I should be doing or there's a problematic time snafu I'll be sure to let someone know.
We fled, far away."

Offline Arthur A Dennison

• (Guest) Shonn
  • Sometimes you don't get a chance to say goodbye.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:08:31 PM »
For those hoping to make approximations and such, it is roughly a 30 mile jaunt from Hyannis to Nantucket. If you're flying with swift flight or bridgewalking you might get there quickly. Otherwise...enjoy the view.
Pure Breed x3
Expressive x4

"When we die
We will die with our arms unbound
And this is why
This is why we fight"