Author Topic: Quickdraw  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Owen Smith

• (Guest) Ken
  • Athro, Homid, Child of Gaia, Ahroun
Quickdraw
« on: March 31, 2009, 01:42:36 PM »
How does the quickdraw Meta-Ability work in RAtC? Last I knew for each level of quickdraw a character took they could choose one type of weapon they could draw as a free action: knives, pistols, swords, etc. So here's a really odd question: if I have Quickdraw 1 (Pistols) and the Amidexterity Merit, could I draw both my pistols wild west style as one free action, or would I need to buy Quickdraw 2 (Pistols, Pistols) to pull that off?
To win in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Offline Lucky Wolf

• Joe Sabella
  • (Guest) Joe Sabella
  • 'ever vigilant, the Wendigo awaits for the wind
Re: Quickdraw
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 05:32:01 AM »
if it helps, the Wild West MET book has a LARP mechanic for quick-draw
Lucky Wolf (Wapi Tala)
Homid Philodox Wendigo Athro
Eldest Wendigo
Beta to the Eldest Philodox
Beta to the Master of the Challenge

" Who am I? I'm the guy that does his job. You must be the other guy."

Offline Alexander Amarandus van Bokkelen

• Conor
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 01:24:43 PM »
I've never seen anyone require an action for drawing a weapon in any MET game.
His Grace Lord Alexander Amarandus van Bokkelen, "Keeper of the King's Peace"
"Withstands Winter's Call to Find the Warmth of Home"
Silver Fang and Grand Duke of House Wyrmfoe
Pack Alpha of Screeching Wrath
Bearer of Gaius and Marius
Wielder of Blitzkrieg's Fury
Eldest Ahroun

Offline Owen Smith

• (Guest) Ken
  • Athro, Homid, Child of Gaia, Ahroun
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »
Nor have I, but just in case, I have the skill. Usually we know when we're being attacked, but sometimes there is no warning. Surprise is a bitch.
To win in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Offline Ten Buck Tim

• (Guest) Darryl
  • This one time, at the Battle of Endor...
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 03:37:23 PM »
not sure about the wild west rules but in games I've played in we've basically used it as a pre empt. and as traits towards initiative in cases where multiple ppl have a pre empt abilility( two garou with spirit of the fray all things being equal the guy with quickdraw is just that fraction faster than the one without.)
Ten Buck Tim
Homid born clitah ahroun of the silent striders

" The only validation is in living your own life. Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time."-William Axl Rose

Offline Johnny 'The Judge' Machelli

• (Guest) Danny Cohen
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:49:40 PM »
I picked up the skill as well,for shooting purposes. I believe it says you can use it to draw a weapon for free, if you make a check, and still fire or use the weapon. I think it's a static Physical vs 7 traits. I also think it should apply to reloading, but that would be an ST call.

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 05:17:45 PM »
The Quickdraw Ability is handled as follows in RAtC:

Possessing the Quickdraw Ability puts the challenger up two traits for the purposes of initiative.  In some cases, this may serve as a tie-breaker for other "I go first" situations like multiple characters tied with the Gift: Spirit of the Fray.

Quickdraw also allows the challenger to draw/switch weapons as a free action during combat.  Normally, without the use of Quickdraw, drawing/switching weapons after combat begins would be a static Physical test against 7 Traits.  drawing/switching weapons is always a free action outside of combat rounds.

By taking a specialization in Quickdraw, for example, "Quickdraw x3 (Pistols)", the challenger will be considered one additional Trait up, as normal, for the purposes of initiative when the weapon of specialization is being used.
Marc Berman