Out of Character > House Rules & Rules Discussions

Adding abilities to trait comparisons

(1/3) > >>

Berek (ST):
For discussion on adding ability ratings to traits when comparing on ties. Should we do it? How should we do it?

Travis West:
We have done this at Hidden Flame for over a year. It works well for everyone. It makes highly trained mortals more dangerous, and allowing a better chance to overbid your average citizen. Also, it makes individuals with level 5 abilities far more powerful and worthy of being "the best in the world".

It's genre-helping. Also, certain abilities like awareness which you are likely to only use a handful of times at a given game, being able to add your rating makes more sense and makes purchasing.g esoteric abilities worth it.

Nike 'Slays the Patriarchy' Strilakos:
the issue i have is that it also raises the base comparison, and it by that feature makes having just 1 dot in an ability bad.  you gotta have 2, or you are bleow the +2 to diff that was done.  it is a feature of the HF sistem i really really dislike

Travis West:
Here's why you should reevaluate your dislike:

1) Having two dots in an ability means you are competent in that ability.  Thus, in a modified world where everyone now has additional traits, instead of everything becoming relatively easier for those who are untrained and drastically easier for those who are trained, the world instead gets a little tougher.

2) Most static difficulties max out at 10 traits which a fortunate cub can best.  Additional, form traits and bonuses can allow a cub to far exceed even the most difficult static challenges in the published material.  Because published static difficulties are so low, nearly any character can overbid most gifts and rites with a competent understanding (2 dots) in a given ability.  To balance the game to compensate for these additional traits, +2 was added so that everyone wouldn't then get both additional traits and a retest on all gift activations and rites.

Nike 'Slays the Patriarchy' Strilakos:
form does not add to my mentals :P  yet we compare them. 

i honestly jsut think there is no need to do this.  i would much much rather allow us to follow the rules and do the other hting, instead of modifying stuff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version