Out of Character > House Rules & Rules Discussions

Persuasion

(1/2) > >>

Conor (Former ST):
There was once a house rule posted in RATC that the fluffy aspects of the Homid Gift Persuasion:

--- Quote ---In addition to the game-mechanical effect, your words are more influential
than usual on the roleplaying level, and Storytellers should work with players to make
the use of Persuasion clear in play.
--- End quote ---
...were null and void, and the Gift was purely for bonus social traits here.

I think this is a lost opportunity for fun, and unless Matt cared to instruct me otherwise, I would enjoy giving PCs the option to do/say/get away with moderate ridiculous things in scenes I run when they deploy this Gift.

Nike 'Slays the Patriarchy' Strilakos:
i dont think i ever knew we DIDNT do the "more weight" thing here...

Matt (HST):
I am all about this...vs. NPC's. It should be just as effective against PC's, theoretically, but I think there are some mucky boundary issues about telling people "no you HAVE to listen to what they're saying and RP it." I think that taking the chance to actually let your character be convinced by Persuasion where they might not otherwise be convinced can make for interesting RP, and that should be not only allowed but commended. However, I don't think I'm comfortable with a rule saying that people have to let other PC's dictate their opinions, reactions, etc. with the use of a Basic Gift. Even more powerful Gifts like Mastery or Head Games don't actually let you change someone's mind, and I think that in the end each player should remain the final authority on what their PC thinks, Gifts or no Gifts.

Nike 'Slays the Patriarchy' Strilakos:

--- Quote from: Matt (HST) on March 24, 2016, 01:32:06 PM ---I am all about this...vs. NPC's. It should be just as effective against PC's, theoretically, but I think there are some mucky boundary issues about telling people "no you HAVE to listen to what they're saying and RP it." I think that taking the chance to actually let your character be convinced by Persuasion where they might not otherwise be convinced can make for interesting RP, and that should be not only allowed but commended. However, I don't think I'm comfortable with a rule saying that people have to let other PC's dictate their opinions, reactions, etc. with the use of a Basic Gift. Even more powerful Gifts like Mastery or Head Games don't actually let you change someone's mind, and I think that in the end each player should remain the final authority on what their PC thinks, Gifts or no Gifts.

--- End quote ---

THIS A BILLION TIMES

Conor (Former ST):
Y'know, I really should have said "with NPCs I run" and not "in scenes I run."  Because that's what I meant, but not what I actually said.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version