Author Topic: traits  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Nike 'Slays the Patriarchy' Strilakos

• Anna Bradley
traits
« on: November 17, 2015, 10:58:12 AM »
so i often lookat my sheet and wonder

why is agile a misc trait and not a dex trait?
why does persuasive not even say misc on my sheet, let alone be a  manip trait?

so, i wonder, can we as a game, take the misc traits that are not really misc and assign them to reasonable categories?  cause it is sort of silly

OR

if we can not then can those of us who bought them assuming (yeah yeah i know) trade them in?
Homid | Ahroun | Elder | Black fury

Pure Breed 2(black fury)

Offline Matt (HST)

• Matt Kamm
  • (Storytellers)
  • Storyteller
Re: traits
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 11:10:16 AM »
I think I am in favor of this, as I'm not sure what purpose Misc traits are supposed to serve and we always end up with stuff like "Can I count X as a Stamina trait" when we have to remember the rules for drowning and someone realizes that they have a bunch of Misc traits and no Sta traits.

Thoughts from others?
Thirty minutes or it's free? EXCELLENT!
Once again, I am free to smite the world as I did in days long past.

Offline Seven Mountains

• Vance
Re: traits
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 11:13:40 PM »
Misc traits are designed within the context of the system to be used within the narrative of collaborative combat and non-combat storytelling to help fulfill colorful and distinct scenes where other adjectives would not fit.

The acceptance of a trait within a bid narrative is supposed to be at the descretion of the recipient of the bid, IE the defender in a contested challenge or the narrator or the like for non-contested or scene contested challenges in which case misc traits can be used on a case by case basis as allowed for specific scenes and or tests/interactions.

Since no game safe but a few have ever actually used the system in its original intent in this regard and most players are too lazy to describe their actions with more than "I am X trait enough to do foo", the need for misc traits is all but null and void in this core regard.

Should any game transition back to the collaborative narrative that Mind's Eye Theater is intended to be, then their value may become clear again.
Seven Mountains
Ragabash, Fostern
Silver Fang Pure Breed x4
Speaks: Russian, English