Author Topic: Forums  (Read 1826 times)

Offline AndrewD

• Andrew Devrell
  • Andrew
Forums
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:34:35 AM »
The forums have been unbelievably slow at home, so please bear with me if you need me as a Narrator or as Walks until I work out how to fix it, or it fixes itself.
I am the shadow on the moon at night
Filling your dreams to the brim with fright!

Offline AndrewD

• Andrew Devrell
  • Andrew
Re: Forums
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »
Oh, and if I appear to have missed something, please post in my attention thread, or message me.
I am the shadow on the moon at night
Filling your dreams to the brim with fright!

Offline Shulamith

• PK
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:51:51 PM »
Seems like it's fixed.  Thanks, Marc!

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 04:00:27 PM »
Well, I didn't do anything since last night, and those things didn't appear to help from talking with Andrew at the time.  Glad the problem seems to have passed though! :)

At any rate, there are a handful of database errors fouling things up on the back end, which I'm going to be working on fixing, though those should have had no effect on speed or anything anyone would be able to see anyway.
Marc Berman

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:53:06 PM »
A number of my pesky database errors have been taken care of, though I've still got some investigating to do on a few more of them.  I'm not sure if this will continue to help performance (for those experiencing intermittent forum performance issues), though I didn't necessarily suspect that any of these small errors were the cause of performance issues.

On an unrelated note:

A question to any non-staff forum users:

When you receive the email notification of a new PM in your inbox, does the email contain the full-text of the PM, or just notification that you have a new PM?  Obviously, those who may be receiving their forum-generated emails as completely blank (due to an unrelated and as yet unresolved issue) need not reply to this question :)
Marc Berman

Party Foul

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 11:11:42 PM »
Full text and a link to reply to the message.  It does arrive a bit after the PM is sent, though.

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:18:18 PM »
Ok good, that was how I was hoping it worked. :)

Sometimes there is a slight delay before the email is sent out, but that's just due to the way things work.  It's usually negligible; on the order of less than a minute or so.  Usually it depends on the recipient's email service (incoming mail servers) and the client's refresh rate.
Marc Berman

Offline Becca

• (Guest) Becca
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 12:25:01 PM »
Full text if I get it through Outlook. If I am at school and using internet mail there is no text at all. Which makes no real sense, but I'll bet you find that most or all of the people reporting the no text issue to you are using internet mail rather than Outlook or the like.

Yes, I know you said we need not respond about that, but I had meant to tell you that there was a difference based on program used and had forgotten in the other crap we're dealing with right now.
Kitkun "Spark on Oil" Soto
Homid, Fostern, Ragabash, Uktena
Beta Ragabash of Sept of the Hidden Flame
Member of the Hand of Providence

Offline Justin Northwood

• RAtC Charter Member
  • Marc
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 01:33:51 AM »
Effective today, our hosting has been upgraded from PHP 4 to PHP 5.  The difference is mostly negligible, but this should help with some of the known speed and efficiency issues.
Marc Berman