Author Topic: Weapons: What are they good for? (rules question)  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Benjamin

• (Guest) Joshua M
  • "We're not crazy. All three of us are sane."
Weapons: What are they good for? (rules question)
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:11:41 AM »
So... looking through the rulebook, I could find no listing for a sword. Doh.

So, what should a short sword do?

Longsword/Broadsword?

Two-handed monster of a sword?

And, while we're on this sort of thing...

A spear? (I feel like it should have some sort of preempt ability like the Knife)

A Trident?

And... is it ok to post a stickied reference of what weapons the caern has lying around and what they do in the Training Grounds area? Or might that get us in IP trouble again and we should just stick to what is available, not what it does, unless it's something particularly special?
Benjamin
Homid, Ahroun, Silent Strider, Fostern
Pure Breed (Silent Strider): 3
Tireless, Graceful
Magnetic, Charming
Vigilant, Intuitive
Fair Glabro
Owl Wings in the Umbra

Offline PEBE

• Joe T
Re: Weapons: What are they good for? (rules question)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:47:50 AM »
Seek out Dark Epics as it has all those stats, including ones for a Broken Bottle :P

Short sword: 2 bonus traits, Clumsy, Jacket concealability, 1L dmg.

Spear/Staff: 3 bonus traits, Heavy, No concealability, 2L dmg (can stake if wooden)

Broadsword: 3 bonus traits, Heavy, Trenchcoat, 2L dmg

Greatsword/Polearm/Scyth: 4 bonus traits, Clumsy, Heavy, no concealability, 2L dmg

Note for people looking to create weapons:
As you can see the damage does not vary, though the bonus traits do. I'm a firm believer in No-One-Shots, so don't expect dmg to go much higher than what's in the book. Traits I'm much more flexable on. It also should be noted (since it's been brought up before) that there is no such thing as a weapon with absolutely NO negative traits. ok, I lied. A Hattori Hanzo sword would be a shining example of a weapon with no neg traits.. but there's only one person in the world with the skill to make such a thing and there's already a waiting line.. ie, it's not happening.
Joe
PC: Purifies the Earth with the Blood of his Enemies, 'Brother to the Winds' (aka "Pebe", also (to the Corax) "Mr Grumpy Pants Uktena")

All complaints must be submitted in the form of lyrical rhymes!
2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2

Offline Benjamin

• (Guest) Joshua M
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 03:39:20 AM »
Seriously, a broken bottle? Awesome.  ;D

I ask about the "more unique" meaning things that you'd have to go searching around for, or have to house rule what it doubles as (i.e. a machete = a short sword or something like that), especially with the forge and there being a Homid of Adren rank now (Reshape Object looks very nice... Leafblade ftw!).

Which leads me to suddenly think of a technical question that might sound rules-lawyery, but is really meant as a flavor question. The gift says it can't be used on the undead... can it be used on the remains of the undead? I.e. to make a weapon out of leftover Tzimisce claws; because if so that'd be nifty-keen...

Just curious about that last bit. No particular reason.  ::)
Benjamin
Tireless, Graceful
Magnetic, Charming
Vigilant, Intuitive
Fair Glabro
Owl Wings in the Umbra

Offline PEBE

• Joe T
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:11:47 PM »
I ask about the "more unique" meaning things that you'd have to go searching around for, or have to house rule what it doubles as (i.e. a machete = a short sword or something like that), especially with the forge and there being a Homid of Adren rank now (Reshape Object looks very nice... Leafblade ftw!).

I would say if there is no listing in Dark Epics, look to the 'closest' listed item for bonus traits, damage, etc and we can go from there. For example, Large Shield, Body Shield, and Riot Shield all have the same stats (except, being slightly smaller, the Large Shield only has 1 neg trait as opposed to the others having 2 each.) The flavor/cosmetic options are all in your hands; the stats will be kept as closely to the book.

Which leads me to suddenly think of a technical question that might sound rules-lawyery, but is really meant as a flavor question. The gift says it can't be used on the undead... can it be used on the remains of the undead? I.e. to make a weapon out of leftover Tzimisce claws; because if so that'd be nifty-keen...

I like the thought, but the way I'm reading "You can transform once-living material (but not the substance of undead beings) into.. yadda yadda" it means that once that living material becomes undead, it is tainted, corrupted and twisted to far from Gaia that it can no longer be transformed like a dead leaf or blade of grass could.
Joe
PC: Purifies the Earth with the Blood of his Enemies, 'Brother to the Winds' (aka "Pebe", also (to the Corax) "Mr Grumpy Pants Uktena")

All complaints must be submitted in the form of lyrical rhymes!
2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2

Arianna_Fireau

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 04:51:13 PM »
What Joe Said.

Also, Dark Epics is an excellent resource and I would recommend it to everyone. Drivethrurpg.com has a copy purchasable, as I recall.

Offline Alexander Amarandus van Bokkelen

• Conor
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 05:03:27 PM »
Also, Dark Epics is an excellent resource and I would recommend it to everyone. Drivethrurpg.com has a copy purchasable, as I recall.

Dark Epics is the best book White Wolf has ever put out.  There's a lot of excellent thought about games, gaming, running a campaign, balance, etc.  Not everyone needs to own it, but every serious larper should at least browse the contents once.

It's almost as good as the first chapter of D&D 3.5's DMGII, which is worth its weight in silver.
His Grace Lord Alexander Amarandus van Bokkelen, "Keeper of the King's Peace"
"Withstands Winter's Call to Find the Warmth of Home"
Silver Fang and Grand Duke of House Wyrmfoe
Pack Alpha of Screeching Wrath
Bearer of Gaius and Marius
Wielder of Blitzkrieg's Fury
Eldest Ahroun

Offline Ryan McKenna

• (Guest) Jeremy
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 05:56:44 PM »
Dark Epics was ment for Vampire, the most up to date weapon rules are in Hunter or Laws of the Hunt
Ryan "Razor Fang"  McKenna
Homid
Cliath
Modi
Get of Fenris
Ghost Wolves under Clashing Boom boom
Sept of the Hidden Flame
Pure Breed: 3 (Get of Fenris)

Offline Benjamin

• (Guest) Joshua M
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 06:04:19 PM »
Well, shucks and darn about the Tzimisce claws.  :'(

But thank you all for the pointers on Dark Epics.

I think we've generally been assuming there are melee weapons to go round, as well as small firearms and bows & arrows. So if we're going to assume that, I'll just bookmark this thread for reference.
Benjamin
Tireless, Graceful
Magnetic, Charming
Vigilant, Intuitive
Fair Glabro
Owl Wings in the Umbra

Offline Arthur A Dennison

• (Guest) Shonn
  • Sometimes you don't get a chance to say goodbye.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 06:28:13 PM »
Werewolf Storyteller's Handbook is by far my favorite Werewolf guidebook.
Pure Breed x3
Expressive x4

"When we die
We will die with our arms unbound
And this is why
This is why we fight"