Author Topic: A little help for the new guys  (Read 4911 times)

Offline Sewer Pipe

• (Guest)
A little help for the new guys
« on: September 25, 2011, 12:40:35 PM »
Hello all.

I play in a Garou game that recently launched in buffalo, and wants to join the org. Most of us have larped for a long while, but not very many of us have experience with garou, so we are sorta feeling our way along. I joined your boards to  pick up some pointers and tips to take back to the game, and get a better sense of OWBN genre in regards to Garou. any tips and tricks you guys wanna share, any genre pointers and any things you think a new game or new player about to be dumped headlong in OWBN Garou needs to know, such as events and rules, would be greatly appreciated.

Iggy
TPO Sewer Pipe
Cliath Ahroun Metis BoneGnawer
A ghetto bastard, born next to the projects, Livin' in the slums with bums, I sit and watch them
Why do I hafta to be like this? momma said I'm priceless, So I am- I'm worthless, starvin' is just what what bein' nice get.

Offline Becca

• (Guest) Becca
Re: A little help for the new guys
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 02:47:43 PM »
Hi Iggy. I'm Becca, the current OWBN Changing Breed Coord. If you would like to have your STs contact me at tanimakia@yahoo.com I'd be glad to answer any questions they have and help them get going. My absolute first suggestion though has little to do with Garou genre. I'm pretty sure there is a Vampire game in your area in OWBN. If they haven't already, I strongly suggest your STs contact the local game and work out territory ahead of time. The biggest problem I've seen new games run into lately is having territory disputes with existing games and that type of thing is easier dealt with at the beginning, before changing territory requires redlineing or altering already run plots.

As far as Events go, the next one I'm aware of is Midwinter, which is being hosted in the Mid-West area. I've got the information on my other computer, so if someone doesn't post it here first I'll add it next time I get on that computer.

Genre-wise, I suggest that your STs look over the current OWBN R&U list. It doesn't cover everything in genre, but it gives a good place for making sure that you guys don't start off with problems. I'll want to talk to them about the starting scenerio too, to make sure there's a smooth IC transition in. Let me know what I can do to help you guys.
Kitkun "Spark on Oil" Soto
Homid, Fostern, Ragabash, Uktena
Beta Ragabash of Sept of the Hidden Flame
Member of the Hand of Providence

Offline Sewer Pipe

• (Guest)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 04:12:47 PM »

You are the changing breed coord?

Dude, what are the friggin odds?! Sweet, I will tell them.
A ghetto bastard, born next to the projects, Livin' in the slums with bums, I sit and watch them
Why do I hafta to be like this? momma said I'm priceless, So I am- I'm worthless, starvin' is just what what bein' nice get.

Offline Becca

• (Guest) Becca
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 04:20:16 PM »
Fairly good odds actually. My main game is the neighboor game to this one, based out of RI. Small world in this corner. I look forward to working with you guys.

Offline Sewer Pipe

• (Guest)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 04:28:08 PM »
On a more personal note: if you wanna help a new player to garou not be completely stumped by the diff between our interpretation and owbn genre could you guys help me out with a few coomon knowledge things? things that are different than what someone who has only played from what he learned in the books. Are there tribes that hate or love eachother in OBWN that felt differently in the books? Things that are considered poor form, how prevalent is the use of suffixes in speech at games? Things/events that someone couldn't have helped but have heard of in OWBN that we should know about? Things that would be considered base line knowlegde to experienced garou players that a rookie like me could really use.

Offline Becca

• (Guest) Becca
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »
Huh, that isn't simple. I can give you a few things off the top of my head. Hopefully some of the others can chime in too. After a while you get so used to the view from the inside that trying to figure out what is part of that view and what is not is difficult.

Suffix use varies by Sept and individual. Some Septs are super traditional, others not so much. When they are used, use them as suffix. Indivdual usage, calling someone Rhya without their names, is generally laughed at.

Children of Gaia have Camps again.

Stargazers have left as per book.

Proper introductions always include Name, Tribe, Breed, Auspice, and Rank, though the order varies, and usually include any positions held, home Sept, and pack name. If you're Silver Fang the list gets longer from there...

Austere Howl is in negotiations to allow members cleared of having Taint by Gleaming Eye to rejoin society, with a stronghold in Australia.

Evan "Heals the Past" recently died to prevent the Wyrm from getting a viable Turtle Egg. Hatchling Turtle is in the Midwest, but is not anywhere close to powerful enough to regain the place that Turtle held. The whole Nation is waiting to see where that goes. In the meantime Evan's Ancestor Spirit was recently found and restored to his tribe.

Mages are usually hated, but there are a few exceptions.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure the others around here can remember more.

Offline Buries the Wyrm in Paperwork

• (Guest)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 06:05:36 AM »
The books tend to indicate that Rites are becoming less and less commonly used or desired by the younger generation. The Org has sort of swung this the other way, largely in part due to gamers generally pursuing any 'kewl powerz' they can get their hands on, but it has gotten to the point that most Septs will generally look down on someone who has no knowledge of Rites, and will sometimes mandate a minimum number which must be known.

Offline Jerry Castillo

• Matt Kamm
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 08:04:41 AM »
I think there's something in some books somewhere about not teaching Rites until the student is Fostern, and some of the super-traditional Tribes or Septs might restrict learning along those lines, but very basic and important Rites (Cleansing, Contrition) are often taught to everyone, even Cubs.

Silent Striders and Bone Gnawers don't really seem to hate each other to any significant degree, despite what the books might say.
Geraldo "Zero Casualties" Castillo
Homid Adren Bone Gnawer Galliard

Missing three fingers on his left hand
Jagged facial scar, improperly set shoulder

Offline Kikea

• PK
  • PK
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 02:56:58 PM »
Big mistake that I see new Werewolf players making again and again: not treating the metis and Bone Gnawers with disdain.  There are really important reasons outlined clearly in the books why metis are the omega breed and Bone Gnawers the omega Tribe.  You don't have to all kiss the ass of every Silver Fang, but you absolutely do have to look down on the metis and the Bone Gnawers.  Unless you're playing one, of course.  And even then, I've seen Shadow Lord metis looking down their noses on Fianna metis- who in turn, naturally, look down their noses at Bone Gnawer metis.

Why hello there, you seem to play a metis Bone Gnawer.  You're in the perfect position to be the Sept Omega.  If I hear you're ever the Sept Alpha, I'll be annoyed.

Offline Damien Eneas

• Chris Woo
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 03:12:51 PM »
Unless of course you have a reason not too.  Coggie for the win.
Damien "Guides the Lost" Eneas
Homid Athro Theurge of the Children of Gaia
Ritemaster of the Sept of the Vigilant Light
Looks noticeably Greek

Offline Sewer Pipe

• (Guest)
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 01:29:19 AM »
Uh oh....

Seeing as how I am the 'elder' for the ahrouns around here, 'Boss ahroun' that may come up.

Offline Kikea

• PK
  • PK
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »
Auspice Alpha is not the same as Sept Alpha.  But in canon, a Bone Gnawer ought to try his damndest to get that responsibility shifted onto someone else as soon as he can.

Offline Becca

• (Guest) Becca
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 02:39:16 PM »
Oh, that reminds me of something else. In the books renown is generally recognized without a challenge, only time you challenge is if you have to go out of Sept. In most OWBN games you generally challenge for every perm dot, though the person you challenge may choose to perform the Rite of Accomplishment without assigning a challenge if they already believe you worthy.

Also, most games have time limits for when you can challenge for the next rank, though those limits vary from game to game. They're usually designed to make sure there is a minimum of 2 & 1/2 to 3 years from Cliath to Elder. They also usually don't end up being a big deal because in most games it ends up taking closer to 4 or 5 years to reach Elder, though the Mid-West tends to have faster progression rates than the East Coast. The game I play in has just recently ended up with its first PC Elders, with an average play time of 6 years before reaching Elder.

Offline Sewer Pipe

• (Guest)
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 06:07:37 AM »
Auspice Alpha is not the same as Sept Alpha.  But in canon, a Bone Gnawer ought to try his damndest to get that responsibility shifted onto someone else as soon as he can.

Point me out where it says that? Book?

Offline Kikea

• PK
  • PK
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »
It's in the subtext of the whole Bone Gnawer Tribebook, and every other writeup of the Gnawers.  They're the Omegas of the Nation, they don't want to be leaders.  They'll do it for short times if circumstances force them, but they've got close ties to their kin and are always busy trying to make things better for the humans who live on the street.  It distracts them from any duties to the Nation.

Offline Sewer Pipe

• (Guest)
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »
would anyone be willing to email me the packets for garou?

dirtyrottenmetis at gmail.com

Offline Taweret

• Emmy Varden, RAtC Charter Member
  • Emmy
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »
I approve of the e-mail addy.
Taweret 'Ascends the Glass Tower'
Athro Homid Silent Strider Galliard
Beta of 'Curators of the Quiet Road' under Peregrine Falcon

Offline Sewer Pipe

• (Guest)
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 02:22:10 PM »
Also... opinion on this being a win or a loss.

Upside... Caern rite accomplished.

Downside... 4 cog theurges, 1 cog ragabash, and two cubs (a get pure breed and a cog pure breed) died.

I dunno how to call this.

I mean one rank 3 and a bunch of cliaths and fosterns did the impossible.

but so many of us died...

Offline Kikea

• PK
  • PK
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 05:19:58 PM »
Win, big win!  Caern risings should always have some PC death, and seven isn't really that many.  Unless you have less than 20 players right now?

Offline Jerry Castillo

• Matt Kamm
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 07:48:02 AM »
+1 to what PK said.  A new caern is worth at least a dozen Garou, and probably many more.
Geraldo "Zero Casualties" Castillo
Homid Adren Bone Gnawer Galliard

Missing three fingers on his left hand
Jagged facial scar, improperly set shoulder

Offline Sewer Pipe

• (Guest)
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 05:23:11 PM »
Good... because apparently my death toll was conservative. There was a butcher's bill to pay on this one.

Offline Sir Garret of the Fuzzies

• (Guest) Tom
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 08:58:32 AM »
Unless of course, it was one of those tiny level one Caerns...
Garret "Dreamwalker" Lupus Galliard Fianna Athro
Fianna purebreed x5
Righ of the East
Guardian of Vigilant Light
Eldest Galliard
Member of Red Bull
Has pointed ears, and a pentagram on the palm of his hand.  Also has Owl wings in the Umbra

Offline Sewer Pipe

• (Guest)
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 09:23:36 AM »
It is... is that horrible?

Offline Taweret

• Emmy Varden, RAtC Charter Member
  • Emmy
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »
We <3 liddle Caerns.
Taweret 'Ascends the Glass Tower'
Athro Homid Silent Strider Galliard
Beta of 'Curators of the Quiet Road' under Peregrine Falcon

Offline Kikea

• PK
  • PK
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »
I think that's AWESOME.  I wish there were more level one caerns in the org.

Offline Sewer Pipe

• (Guest)
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 03:31:36 AM »
Do you guys <3 visitors/ visiting?

Also, more about tribe genre and big nation news that u think we should know?

Offline Kikea

• PK
  • PK
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 06:27:59 AM »
I've visited a distant game during a regular game session only once, but I know folks who have done it many times.  Generally I save my traveling for the big event games, when I can usually squeeze into a car that's already headed in that direction.

Visitors are always welcomed, naturally!

Sorry dude, but your second question is too general.  Ask me specific ones, and I'll have specific answers.  :)

Offline Sewer Pipe

• (Guest)
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 03:16:28 AM »
ok, a slightly more specific one...

can you guys name some good rank challenges?

I thought they had to be at least tangetially related to your auspice, with respect to your trubes traditions.

For example..I am challenging for rank two, as a BG ahroun, and the guy is asking me to find the hidden meaning of three stories, where as OOC I think that would be great for a ragabash or philodox challenge and that a more appropriate challenge would be some sort of sport or fight or even leading a group on a small battle to prove leadership and combat skills.

Am I wrong to think that? am I missing something?

Offline Kikea

• PK
  • PK
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 06:27:08 AM »
Who did you challenge for Fostern?  If I challenged an Uktena Galliard, that's exactly the sort of challenge I'd expect to get, regardless of my auspice.

Fostern challenges do tend to be "show your awesomeness at your auspice", you're correct.  But the best way to ensure that is to challenge a fellow Ahroun.  If you're looking for a Bone Gnawer style of challenge to do with helping street people or rats, challenge a Bone Gnawer.  Once you guys are fully part of the org, you can travel to any game- either in person or on their forums- and challenge Fosterns or Adrens there, so you'll have a lot more options.

I believe there's a list of Rank challenge examples in either the Player's Guide or the Storyteller's Guide.

Offline Sewer Pipe

• (Guest)
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »
there are no rank 2 ahroun. The only philodox rank 2 walked out on the sept, so that left the rank three theurge bone gnawer and the rank 2 galliard bone gnawer, both former packmates. the rank 2 galliard is telling me aesops fables and having me look through them for meaning.

Offline Kikea

• PK
  • PK
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 09:34:52 AM »
Yep, the Galliard wants you to do a Gaillardy thing.  No surprise there.  You're just going to have to stretch yourself, maybe buy up your Enigmas.  :)