Recent Posts

Pages:  1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Memorable Quotes / Re: Urp.
« Last post by Travis West on April 14, 2016, 10:00:02 AM »
Buttery.
Memorable Quotes / Re: Urp.
« Last post by Kerberos on April 14, 2016, 09:14:02 AM »
"Rich, salty evil."

(Did I get that right? I think I got that right.)
Memorable Quotes / Urp.
« Last post by Travis West on April 14, 2016, 04:31:05 AM »
"...voluminous folds..."

"You cornplete me." written in ketchup.
LotW says  you can buy above 5 at 2xp per dot  *shrug*
House Rules & Rules Discussions / Re: Abilities past 5
« Last post by Marc (Admin) on March 25, 2016, 06:16:40 PM »
Can anyone speak for how this is currently handled (or not) in any other games?

The actual write-up in LotW seems even more restrictive than what's out there in reality today, indicating that "experts" and "masters" should be even more rare, going on to list a five trait scale of generic competency.

Quote from: Laws of the Wild, pg. 78
A character with multiple levels in a given Ability is certainly more experienced and proficient than an individual with just one Trait. Most characters will fall into one of three levels of Ability; greater amounts are very rare, limited to elders and ancestors. The total level of Ability in a given field corresponds roughly to the character’s professional capabilities. Competent (Able to earn a living) Professional (Licensed, capable of supervision) Journeyman (Bachelor’s degree or instructor) Expert (Master’s degree or researcher) Master (Doctorate or true innovator)
« Last post by Conor (Former ST) on March 25, 2016, 06:02:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the original text about abilities over 5 was from Laws of the Night, where there was also some other text that specified that better-than-8th-generation vampires could have abilities of 6+.  (And also Backgrounds and Influences?  I think?)

I agree with Marc's comment about arms races.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I've got the XP to burn, and as Alexander I'd love to raise all my combat retests from 5 to 10, or whatever, but I'm not convinced the game would benefit from raising the cap.

So in tabletop White Wolf, it's pretty easy to be a superhero who bullets bounce off of.  Invest enough in your soak pool, and you can become more or less immune to small arms fire for a scene, and you can spend a hundred rounds trading swings with stuff, and so long as it doesn't do agg, you'll heal whatever damage manages to get through your soak.  (Alternatively, you'll take one here and there and find a way to heal that mid-fight too.)

In MET this is much harder.  Taking a lot of actions costs you traits and retests and wears you down.  This means that all contests are heavily weighted in favor of whoever brought more characters, and makes it harder for the lots-of-XP-sheets to overshadow newer characters for an entire game's worth of play.  And in a larp with a lot of players, I think this is good.  It means that there's a mechanic that subtly encourages the spreading-around of screen time and who gets to have awesome moments where their character succeeds at such.

As it is, the 5-cap rule *already* lets people build PCs that have more retests than they can use in one session, even a session of heavy combat.

Also, yeah, this pretty much just is about combat, because almost never is there anything but combat that burns through 5+ levels of any one ability in a single game session.  I mean it can happen *sometimes*, especially if you're engaging in a mass-social-challenge of "my story was awesome" at a moot, that's a good way to burn through 5x Performance in one round.  But generally this is about combat.

Mind's Eye Theater sucks,
Conor
House Rules & Rules Discussions / Re: Persuasion
« Last post by Seven Mountains on March 25, 2016, 05:39:39 PM »
And this right here, this discussion is why those who perhaps are not versed in manipulating or charming people OOG struggle with playing a character who can do so IG.

The system is supposed to be a collaborative effort by the challenger and the challenged to trust and accept that conflict happens, and the storytelling system is designed to resolve those things in a way which adds an uncontrolled dynamic to the story, giving it realism and vibrancy. It is a trust between players, or staff and players that challenges matter.

7M respects Jerry because of the multipel RP's they hadd in which Jerry threw chops after and won. 7M should not respect Jerry, but he does because the system said he should. That's the way it works, that's why it's a storytelling system and not a combat system.

I know I am in the minority here on this but I have always felt a story in a LARP is a collaboration, if someone is playing a social fist character, part of the social contract of respect you get is the give and take that they won't abuse your fun, but also that you will accept them changing your point of view though RP with stats because that is how IG diplomacy works. If it was all about Combat skills the SilverFang would have been taken down from leadership and replaced by the GoF and Black Furies a Long time ago...
sure, but we are not playign using TT rules so... why do we care about that definition?  in TT i can also start with WP 9 :P
« Last post by Lars Nielsen on March 25, 2016, 01:12:29 PM »
not sure why it is related to TT dice at all though?  its the MET book that says you can have abilities past 5 easily

And it's the TT book that defines 5 as being world-class.
not sure why it is related to TT dice at all though?  its the MET book that says you can have abilities past 5 easily
Pages:  1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10